Pretty 52 http://www.pretty52.com/assets/images/theme/logo.svg

While many of us are currently riding high on the wave of the weekend, one woman's life has taken a tragic turn after her 14-week-old daughter reportedly suffocated to death due to the headband that she was wearing slipping over her nose.

The woman left her daughter, Holly, in her carry cot for just half an hour while she went to shower and change.

But she forgot to remove her daughter's accessory, which prevented the infant from breathing and ultimately led to her death.

Leanne Willson, from Glasgow, is a friend of the woman who lost her child, and she has shared the following Facebook post on her behalf, warning other parents not to make the same mistake.

Credit: Facebook

Leanne said that her friend was "utterly devastated" by what has happened.

Sheila Merrill, public health adviser from The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (ROSPA), said:

Children can easily swallow, inhale or choke on items left in their reach as they naturally grasp anything and put it in their mouths. Once in their mouth they find it difficult to remove the item.
Parents can prevent the risk of choking and suffocation by ensuring that small objects or items are kept out of reach of children under the age of three.
Click here for more information about risks to children and how to keep them safe.

Featured Image Credit: Pexels

Abby Robinson

Abby is a writer for Pretty 52. She's an animation enthusiast, daydreams about roaming the wild with all her animal friends, and is failing to conquer her trainer addiction.

Next Up

arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up camera clock comment cursor facebook-messenger facebook Instagram link new-window play share snapchat submit twitter vine whatsapp