Pretty52Skip to content
Advert

Latest

35 minutes ago
Advert
an hour ago
Advert

Most Popular

a day ago
Advert

Health Vlogger Shares Photos Of 'Severe Allergic Reaction' To Henna

Health Vlogger Shares Photos Of 'Severe Allergic Reaction' To Henna

Hair dyeing has become common practice. It's almost impossible to find someone who hasn't altered their hair colour in some way, but for those who follow the type of lifestyle which steers clear of chemicals and any unnatural ingredients, it can be difficult.

Health and clean eating vlogger, Chemese Armstrong, from Texas, prides herself on living a life as natural as possible, and she decided to use henna to dye her hair, as it is plant-based, and had been told by her dermatologist that it was 'completely natural and chemical free'.

Advert

After suffering an allergic reaction to an ingredient called Paraphenylenediamine (PPD) back in 2014, which is regularly found in regular hair dye, the 35-year-old naturally wanted to avoid all contact with any other chemical that could cause another reaction.

However, that was clearly not the case, judging by the following post which she shared on Instagram:

If you been following me for a while you know that I tried to be as transparent as possible. You will also know that my 100 days of just juice and smoothies has been very important to me. Today is day 100!!! The past couple of days has been extremely rough. I mention before that I die my hair with Henna because of my research and what I was told that it was supposed to be completely natural and chemical free but it wasn't and I had a severe allergic reaction as you can see from the pictures. I'm not posting this for any advice or any negative comments. I'm fully aware of what these pictures look like. I had to endure this nightmare. If you do not have anything nice to say please keep strolling. I want to let everyone that pray for me or send me well-wishes know what was going on. I was in severe pain from my scalp burning and itching with my face completely's swollen to the point I was unrecognisable. The most scary part about this whole thing is that my eyes was completely swollen shut where I couldn't see for 2 days. My doctor was afraid that it was going to start affecting my breathing which that didn't happen and as of today my eyes are open and I can see again but my face is still very swollen (I don't look like myself). I'm not in any more pain and I feel things are heading in the right direction. I hate that this had to happen but now I'm even more focus on making sure that my health is number one priority. Once I get back to looking like myself again I will make a more detailed video on my YouTube channel. Thanks again for all the love, support, and well wishes.
Advert

The hair salon where Chemese had her hair dyed only asked their client to wait for 30 minutes after completing the strand test, as opposed to the standard one to two days. If the correct protocol had been followed, it would have very quickly become clear that the henna did in fact contain PPD, the very ingredient which caused Chemese's reaction last time.

Following her horrifying ordeal, which has left the 35-year-old with some dry and peeling skin, as well as an itchy scalp, the vlogger has decided to make a video to warn others about the products that they are using, which you can watch below.

Despite emailing the salon, she has not yet been contacted.

Topics: News, Beauty, Hair and Beauty

Abby Robinson

Abby is a writer for Pretty 52. She's an animation enthusiast, daydreams about roaming the wild with all her animal friends, and is failing to conquer her trainer addiction.

Next Up

Have You Ever Wondered Why We Close Our Eyes When We Kiss?

...

4 years ago
Zara Pull 'Gluten Free' T-Shirt From Stores After Online Petition Voices Outrage

...

4 years ago
We Definitely Didn't Notice This Quite Obvious Flaw In The Harry Potter Films

...

4 years ago