Palace Announces Meghan And Harry Will Celebrate Birth Of Their Child 'Privately'
Kensington Palace announced today that Harry and Meghan, who are expecting their first child together later this month, have made the 'personal decision' to stay out of the public eye for the first few days of their baby's life.
The statement said: "The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are very grateful for the goodwill they have received from people throughout the United Kingdom and around the world as they prepare to welcome their baby.
"Their Royal Highnesses have taken a personal decision to keep the plans around the arrival of their baby private.
View this post on InstagramWhat an incredibly special surprise the grassroots led #globalsussexbabyshower was last Sunday! The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are immensely grateful for the outpouring of love and support in anticipation of the birth of their first child. In lieu of sending gifts, the couple have long planned to encourage members of the public to make donations to select charities for children and parents in need. If you already made a donation, the couple send you their greatest thanks. If you are thinking about it, they ask that you kindly consider the following organisations they've selected, which we will highlight here over the next few days: @thelunchboxfund @littlevillagehq @wellchild @baby2baby The Duke and Duchess remain appreciative for your warm wishes and kindness during this especially happy time in their lives! Thank you for sharing the love :heart:
A post shared by The Duke and Duchess of Sussex (@sussexroyal) on
"The Duke and Duchess look forward to sharing the exciting news with everyone once they have had an opportunity to celebrate privately as a new family."
The news comes just days after The Sun revealed that the Duchess of Sussex is expected to break a four-decade royal tradition by shunning the Lindo Wing of St Mary's Hospital in London, where her sister-in-law the Duchess of Cambridge gave birth to her three children.
She is also said to have 'snubbed' the Queen's doctors in the lead-up to the birth of her first child, as she reportedly doesn't want the "men in suits" to deliver her baby.
Royal historian Kate Williams spoke to Channel 5 News to explain that the Duchess does not have to follow any royal birth protocol, due to the baby only being a 'minor royal' and not an heir to the throne like the Cambridge's kids.
"Strictly speaking, there isn't a royal protocol. There's been lots of coverage saying Meghan is wrong and snubbing the Queen's doctors. We don't know she has.
"The Queen, for example, when she gave birth, she gave birth at Buckingham Palace and had a home birth - a home caesarian.
"So, there are lots of royal women who have not even broken tradition but made their own choices throughout history as to exactly what they want.
"Meghan Markle is being unjustly criticised when lots of royal women have made their own choice about how they give birth."
In the final days of her pregnancy, Meghan Markle, 37, has appointed her own delivery team, led by a female doctor.
The royal household's gynaecologists Alan Farthing and Guy Thorpe-Beeston, who specialise in high-risk childbirth, were present at the births of all three of William and Kate's children but will only play a 'minor role' in the delivery of Meghan's first baby (according to royal protocol, the doctors cannot be excluded from the process entirely and will step in if anything goes wrong).
Royal baby update :baby: : Harry and Meghan have decided to keep plans around the arrival of their first baby private for now, but will facilitate a photocall around two days afterwards.
- Rebecca English (@RE_DailyMail) April 11, 2019
Royal correspondent Rebecca English also tweeted about the fact that Baby Sussex may well appear on Harry and Meghan's new Instagram account, which emerged last week.
She said: "The Duchess of Sussex favours a home birth at Frogmore Cottage (with Prince Harry by her side) when she delivers her first child in just a few weeks. She understands it may not medically be possible, but it's certainly what she plans.
"Harry and Meghan have decided to keep plans around the arrival of their first baby private for now, but will facilitate a photocall around two days afterwards."
Featured Image Credit: PA