Jeremy Kyle Says He's 'Utterly Devastated' Over Death Of Guest In New Statement
Jeremy Kyle has broken his silence over the permanent cancellation of his talk show following the death of one of his guests.
The Jeremy Kyle Show guest, Steve Dymond, 62, died in the week after filming, and the controversial chat show was immediately take off air and suspended while a review was carried out by ITV.
And yesterday, the broadcaster confirmed that the show would not be making a return.
And now Jeremy has issued a statement over the cancellation and death of a guest, saying that he - along with the production team - are all "utterly devastated".
Jeremy, 53, said: "Myself and the production team I have worked with for the last 14 years are all utterly devastated by the recent events.
"Our thoughts and sympathies are with Steve's family and friends at this incredibly sad time."
ITV's CEO Carolyn McCall confirmed the show's permanent cancellation on Wednesday in a statement.
"Given the gravity of recent events we have decided to end production of The Jeremy Kyle Show," she said.
"The Jeremy Kyle Show has had a loyal audience and has been made by a dedicated production team for 14 years, but now is the right time for the show to end.
"Everyone at ITV's thoughts and sympathies are with the family and friends of Steve Dymond.
"The previously announced review of the episode of the show is under way and will continue."
ITV said it would continue to work with host Jeremy Kyle on other projects.
Reality TV is currently under the microscope following recent events, and MPs have launched an inquiry into the genre as it potentially "risk(s) putting people who might be vulnerable on to a public stage at a point in their lives when they are unable to foresee the consequences," said Damian Collins MP, chair of the digital, culture, media and sport select committee.
He added: "With an increasing demand for this type of programming, we'll be examining broadcasting regulation in this area - is it fit for purpose?"
Meanwhile, broadcasting regulator Ofcom will continue its own investigation into The Jeremy Kyle Show despite ITV's cancellation.
An Ofcom spokesperson said: "While ITV has decided to cancel the programme, its investigation into what happened is continuing and we will review the findings carefully.
Our thoughts are with Steve's family at this incredibly sad time.
If you're struggling in any way, visit Samaritans here or call 116 123 for free.
Featured Image Credit: ITV